History of Our Lady of Guadalupe Shrine

Our Lady of Guadalupe Shrine, Riverside, was built in 1927, but from 1927-1935 was known as a Mission of St. Francis de Sales. Going by the name of St. Francis of Assisi from 1957-1961, the parish name was changed to Our Lady of Guadalupe Shrine, as the pioneer parishioners had intended. Over the 75 years of its existence, the church community experienced a beautiful transition, becoming a parish of diverse, yet compatible, ethnic nationalities. Since the year 1999, this community expresses their love and devotion to Our Lady of Guadalupe and San Juan Diego especially by the annual Pilgrimage to Mt. Rubidoux, Riverside, California "El Camino de San Juan Diego."

Forty-nine years ago the Annual La Gran Fiesta Ranchera was established to financially assist and maintain the parish parochial school. Although the school closed in the late 60s, the Fiesta continues to grow in supporting the parish's ministerial needs.