History of St. Frances of Rome

Originally named "Our Lady of the Lake," the Catholic Church at Lake Elsinore was given mission status under St. Bernardine, San Bernardino, from 1887 to 1893. Then until 1908 its mission status was transferred to Riverside under St. Francis de Sales, with which it was often confused. From 1908-1912 it became part of the larger mission area of St. Anthony, San Jacinto, and gained full parish status with the arrival of Fr. J.J. Burr. In the course of its history, it has been under the jurisdictions of the Dioceses of Monterey-Los Angeles, San Diego and finally, San Bernardino. In 1989 official records list membership at 25 families.

Then in December 1996, with a substantial increase in the Catholic population, the church was moved to Wildomar, where a multi-purpose room serves as the worship center. A building fund project is well underway to meet the parish goal of a permanent church.

In 2002 the introduction of "Life Teen" is exerting a positive impact on the entire parish community. This program fulfills a primary goal of the parish "vision statement," which gives priority to youth ministry.