History of St. Margaret Mary

"In 1908 Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish became the first Catholic Church in Chino. Chino's growth was such that by 1947, the Bishop formed a second parish St. Margaret Mary. Fr. Philip Watz was named pastor of the original church, which seated about 200 people. In 1949 the church purchased additional land and a convent was brought in and remodeled, with much of the labor volunteered by parishioners.

On September 13, 1954, three Sisters from St. Francis of Clinton, Iowa, opened St. Margaret Mary school with an enrollment of 145 in grades one through six. The second half of the school was built in 1956.

The present church was built in 1959 with a capacity of 800, and the old church was subsequently used as a parish hall. The new church was dedicated on December 12,1959.

Through the generous donation of the Holy Name Society, the bell tower and bell were added and dedicated on Easter of 1960. In December of 1974, a Bell Carillon was installed.

Over the past 55 years of service to Our Lord Jesus Christ, the family of St. Margaret Mary Parish has continually shown willingness to work together and love one another through apparent obstacles of change and growth."