History of St. Louis

St. Louis, Cathedral City, was formed in February 1948 by its founding pastor, Fr. Joseph Leissler who served the community for 24 years. Masses were celebrated at different homes until May of the same year, when the first permanent building (a former military hospital ward) for St. Louis Church was established. On February 10, 1949, the church was dedicated and blessed by Bishop Charles T. Buddy of the Diocese of San Diego. In 1973 Bishop Leo T. Maher, also from San Diego, conducted groundbreaking ceremonies for the new St. Louis Church building and rectory. The new church was completed and dedicated on March 3, 1974. Four years later St. Louis became part of the Diocese of San Bernardino.

The Congregation of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary were invited to staff the parish in 1981 and have served the community until the present.

In 1992 the St. Louis Parish community began the planning process to build a new parish hall. After many meetings, brainstorming sessions and fundraisers, groundbreaking ceremonies were held in November 1998, and in January 2001, the new parish hall was completed and ready for use.