History of St. Charles Borromeo

Established on September 19, 1939, the parish of St. Charles Borromeo was a small parish whose boundaries extended along Valley Boulevard to the north, the Riverside County line to the south, Meridian Avenue to the east and Sierra Avenue to the west. The dedication of the new church took place on October 22, 1939 by the Most Rev. Bishop Charles Buddy, Diocese of San Diego. At the beginning it was located on the northwest corner of Orange Avenue and Vine Street, about a mile north of its current location on the southwest corner of Jurupa Avenue and Spruce Avenue in Bloomington, California. The current boundaries are: Interstate 10 to the north, Riverside County line to the south, Pepper Avenue to the east and Palmetto Avenue to the west. The re-dedication of the parishÂ’s new site took place on December 10, 1983 by the Most Rev. Bishop Phillip F. Straling, Diocese of San Bernardino. The land was a peaceful farm area known for its wonderful berry fields, most of which are now gone. The dedication of the new church took place on June 30, 2012 by the Most Rev. Bishop Gerald R. Barnes, Diocese of San Bernardino.